I've a particular machine on which I wish to install iTunes, current
version, I think it's 10.4.10. No matter what I do, no matter how many
times I completely remove, de-install, expunge iTunes, Quicktime,
Apple software update, Bonjour, Apple mobile device support and Apple
application support from my machine, cleaning out stuff in the
"Documents and settings" folder having anything whatsoever to do with
Apple or iTunes, ensuring the Program Files folder and Common Files
folder is clear of anything to do with Appleware, then re-installing
iTunes and rebooting just to make sure everything gets installed, I
plug in my iPhone, get the doo-ding USB device connected noise, and
sometimes I get the "new hardware found" message with the words "Apple
mobile device" and sometimes with the word "iPhone" after. Upon
opening iTunes, the iPhone does not appear. In fact, nothing in
Devices appears. I look in Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device
Manager / USB Devices and do not find anything installed there that
even remotely looks like a USB driver of any kind. There's a system
environment variable called devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices which, when
set to 1, will show you anything untoward in Device Manager. I have
this set thus, and I never see anything in USB devices. I can plug
other USB devices, such as disks, audio or MIDI interfaces, etc., SD
cards in readers, even the JAWS dongle, into any of the USB ports on
the machine, and they all work like they're supposed to. The only
thing I'm having trouble with is this darn iTunes device driver. I'd
would so much prefer to manage my iPhone on my PC than my wife's Mac,
but I suppose if I have to, I'll go that route, but I can't imagine
there's not some way to fix this problem. Any suggestions not
previously covered in the above are most welcome, with my undying
thanks in advance.