Dave,

Are some of the drives and the sound card USB?  If so, it might be worth making
sure they are on
separate USB controllers/hubs.  Sometimes there is more than one built into a
computer, so experimenting
with putting them on different USB connectors could be worth your time.  With
the quality of the sound
card, you wouldn't expect this sort of thing, though.  If the drives are not
USB, where is the
controller?  If your M-Audio board is in a slot next to a HD or USB controller,
I suppose that could
cause a problem, but these are not usually separate boards any more and are on
the mother board.

I saw another response that suggested a ground loop isolator.  While I wouldn't
discount that as a
solution as ground loops can do some strange things, my experience has been
that ground loops generally
result in at least some 60-cycle hum as well as additional noise.  If you're
specifically getting hard
disk noise without a noticeable amount of hum, it seems as though you are
getting leakage into the sound
outputs outside of a ground loop path.

Also, is there any chance you are running the volume at a low level somewhere
because of gain in your
speakers and equalizer?  If you run your output at a higher electronic volume
but you are experiencing
some sort of overload, attenuating the output in some other way than turning
down the electronic volume
control is worth exploring.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson