Total recorder is much easier than audacity and alike, you must do a
test recording from the build in low end soundcart and see if that is
good enough. Otherwise, you might want a better external soundcard and
you would then need to set it up and afterwords tel total recorder to
record from that card. If you want to put tapes on your pc, another
option could be to buy a USB tape player, they come in differend
brands and forms. for example: "ion tape express" wich connect via
USB. This way you can avoid an external sound card and tel total
recorder to record from the USB tape device. If you have peaces of
silence in the recording, or any unwanted audio, you can select the
audio and then delete it.