I agree with you absolutely on this.

I suppose I use VLC a lot due to the fact that I use computers on multiple
platforms, I have Mac machines and I use OSX, I use machines that run LYNUX and
of course I use Windows, VLC is an open source multi platform player.

Again this is personal experience but I've found Winamp to be very bloated and
I've had it crash quite frequently on my Windows machines here so those reasons
alone steered me away from the software.

I know others who are more than happy to use Windows Media Player and who can
blame them as the software - from the little I've played with it - seems very
user friendly indeed but the unfortunate part is that Windows Media Player
doesn't seem to support all the audio formats that VLC does.

Anyway as has been stated, you have heaps of options at your fingertips so use
what's best for you.