Well I asked because I can't find what I'm looking for, and thought someone else might have found something I missed. All I'm finding are either high-quality recorders like my Olympus LS7 or your Zoom H1 that have none of these editing features, or dictation recorders that have all these features, but very poor sound quality. Is it really that unthinkable that someone who wants dictation editing features might also want good sound? I did look on some dictation equipment web sites, and one of them perfectly described what a dictation recorder should be. Digital Dictation Recorders are especially well-suited for physicians, attorneys, investigators, and business users where it's a requirement to accurately construct sentences and paragraphs as you go, for later transcription. If you make a mistake, merely rewind, and play forward to that point, then hit Record and continue! A true "dictation" recorder lets you listen to what you dictated, rewind and replay it, and make any changes to it as you go ("on the fly editing"). You can insert a new sentence in the middle of an old one, overwrite from a certain point onward, or go back to a dictation created earlier in the day and modify or append to it. Digital dictation recorders are perfect for dictating correspondence, reports, observations, or any type of dictation needs. (" Unfortunately, all the recorders they sell only record in highly compressed formats. I do agree that index marks are very helpful if you have to do the editing later on the computer, but it's so much easier to edit right as you're recording. However, if what I want simply doesn't exist, can someone suggest a good, accessible dictation recorder that has these features? Perhaps the sound quality will be acceptable for some applications, and I can use my LS7 for the rest. And by the way, you can easily append to a cassette recording, provided the recording didn't go all the way to the end of the side. Just go to the end of the recording, and continue from there. I've often added new material to a cassette recording I made previously. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: Digital recorder with simple cassette features?

Well if you know so much about it all then what on earth did you waste our time for in the first place <smile>.

You will find that many of those in the world of business who use dictation in fact use audio editors to edit the result of their work, you only have to look on various product web sites for dictation equipment and software.

There are many people who would use say a Zoom H1 recorder for instance to record their dictation and then either do 1 of 2 things, feed the audio into a "Translator" or edit the audio thus illiminating unwanted portions such as coughs, dictation errors etc.

In my previous message I described how a user could "Mark" a position whilst recording, this is similar to what users of cassette dictation machines could do, if memory serves me correctly the term was known as "Indexing".

Our local Newspaper features a column called Bleeding Edge and this column has reported on the subject of Dictation many times over the past 2 years.

Now be honest with yourself David, how can you "Append" to a cassette, just think about it for a moment, you only have a length of tape to use so if there's already material recorded on a tape when you continue recording or record from a certain point this will be erased.