Hi Dave,
I'm not sure whether you're trying to record the audio that's being sent to the
playback device, for example what's coming out of the speakers or the
headphones.
If this is the case, then if you've got only one sound card, then audacity will
record the screen reader as well.
But if you're recording from a microphone or line in, then the screen reader
won't be recorded. You can select the recording device in audacity in all
versions of windows.

David.