Hi!

I wrote to the list a few days ago with my review of the Soundlink Air Speaker
system, this system will play streams from Apple "Airplay" devices such as IOS
devices, computers - Both Windows PC and Mac -, amplifiers, video Media Boxes
and so on, I received the external rechargeable battery for the Soundlink Air
and what follows are my observations of this handy addition to the system.

Attaching the battery pack to the Soundlink Air system is incredibly easy, a
piece from the back of the Soundlink Air is removed by inserting a coin or
similar object into a slot on the rear of the unit and turning anti clockwise.

The battery pack takes the place of the removed plate, you can feel the
connector of the battery and the system make contact, once that's done you
insert your coin into the slot on the battery, push in, turn clockwise and the
catch snaps into place.

The bolge of the battery pack an inch or so out from the system makes for an
interesting feel to say the least, well batteries have to go somewhere <smile>.

A full charge of the battery takes 10 hours according to the Soundlink Air's
Owners manual and battery life is around 3 hours of maximum volume.

Please don't be miss lead by the battery life figure, whilst battery life is
probably 3 hours on battery at full volume, I can assure you that you would not
want one of these Soundlink Air systems running at volume anywhere near you
unless your ears don't work at all or unless you wish to demolish your house,
annoy the neighbours etc, I've done some testing and I've managed 9 hours out
of the Soundlink Air at a slightly louder than normal volume, you can set the
volume of the unit through an "Airplay" device such as your computer or iPhone
so you know the level.

Getting 10 hours out of an "Airplay" device along with excellent audio quality
is - in my view - quite impressive given that the speaker system not only has
to process and play the audio but also has to use a fair amount of power to
stay connected to your Wi-Fi network.

To other matters regarding the Soundlink Air, one of the most widely
distributed myths about this system is that you need to be connected to a Wi-Fi
network to use it? Let me start by saying then that yes, you do need a Wi-Fi
connection for "Airplay" streaming but the Soundlink Air doesn't have to
connect to your Home Network in order for "Airplay" to work.

If you're on the road or at a barbecue with say iPhone and Soundlink Air and
you want music then you can connect your iPhone to the Soundlink Air's own
built-in Wi-Fi network and start streaming directly to the unit.

If you're not planning to use the Bose Soundlink Air at all with "Airplay" then
the Wi-Fi component of the system can be switched off, the Soundlink Air will
still work through the Line-in Jack.

Firmware updates can be applied to the Soundlink Air when they become available
and this can be done in either of 2 ways, either by holding down a series of
buttons on the Bose Soundlink Air's remote or by downloading the update through
your computer and transferring to the Soundlink Air through its micro USB port,
I prefer the former method.

Dane Trethowan
Skype: grtdane12
Phone US (213) 438-9741