Hi, thanks for your answers, but i am still stuck. i go to control panel, and press on sounds and audio devices. i then arrive in a volume saying 320 of 500. if i then shift tab, i get five choices. they are. volume, sounds, audio, voice, and hardware devices. i know that somewhere there should be a record an play back, but i can't find them. but, thanks for trying. i am at present using my old computer. i have just set up a new one, and have installed soundforge on it. unfortunately, when i try to launch soundforge, it says can't find specified mondule, and then freezes. this is why i have gone back to my old computer. i am stuck until i get soundforge working in one or other of these machines. brian.