Hi, this will be my last message on this subject for some time. i have been given a lot of information from members of this list, and i am grateful for the help. i am inclined to have a go at total recorder in some form or other. if i can get a demo version, and can use it successfully, then i will go for the paid version. once i can make a audio file of whatever it is i am interested in at the moment, i have other programmes that i can use to edit the files. so, it may be some time before i can sort myself out, so let me finish by thanking you all again, brian.