Okay, perhaps I'm miss-understanding something here but I thought someone
mentioned that the headset had to be switched on for charging to take place?
Charging of the battery will take place regardless of the position of the mode
switch - whether the headset is switched off, in 2.4GHZ wireless or in
bluetooth modes -, you might found that the headset charges more quickly if the
mode is set to off.

Yes that's correct, you can talk all day on Skype etc with the headset
connected to a USB power supply and the battery will still charge, this
functionality is not found on all headsets and I can understand why, if you're
charging from a computer's USB connection then you do have a very limited
amount of current available to any USB device so talking on the headset whilst
trying to charge its own battery takes more current than just charging the
battery alone, my Plantronics 995 audio headset wont operate whilst charging.