From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On
Behalf Of Dane Trethowan
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2014 8:29 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: HIMS Inc. Releases New Pocket-sized Media
Player that Gives Blindand Visually Impaired Near-instant
Access to Printed Text

I share your thoughts, I wondered about the Internet Radio
initially and came around to the idea that it made perfect
sense, if the machine has Wi-Fi capabilities and Internet
connectivity then may as well put Internet Radio and perhaps
some sort of Podcasting facility into the device but to me
FM radio is just one of those features which is there and
I'll probably never use given the fact that you'll need to
plug headphones into the device to have the FM radio work
anyway.

On 2 Jun 2014, at 4:05 pm, Adrien Collins
<adriencollins22...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dane
>
> I wouldn't buy it because of the fm radio, the internet
> radio should be good enough. I would only buy it for the
> text or ocr functionality. But will see what happens.
>
> Regards
>
> Adrien

that
> they hope will appeal to a mass market, I myself could
well
> do without a FM and Internet radio, I couldn't believe my
> ears when I heard someone say Yesterday that they were
going
> to buy this device because of its FM radio, what's the
use!

> On 2 Jun 2014, at 7:01 am, Adrien Collins
> <adriencollins22...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> For us in Europe I have just calculated that the cost of
>> this gadget will be around £400, not bad but as we
already
>> have the internet radio on our vr streams mark 2, I am
> only
>> really interested in the ocr and epub and other reading
>> functions, apart from an I device what else would cover
>> these features? It looks very good though.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Adrien

2E

<dennis...@gmail.com>

> the
>> website and if you order before june 30 its $695 after
> that
>> its $749. if you order before may 31, you get free
> shipping.
>> it ships in late june. i almost dropped the hammer and
>> ordered one just now. but i cant help wanting to wait and
>> see the reviews on it sence i already have a booksence
> that
>> i payed $500 for and i just don't know if i'd get my
monys
>> worth from buying the blaze.this is just my 2 penny's
> worth.
>> documents that really challenge solutions like Openbook,
>> Kurzweil 1000 and the combination of the IPhone 5S,
Prizmo
>> and the standscan pro. Results need to be much much
better
>> than the other solutions before I would buy it.

attention
>> to the past thread, thus missed it.

> what
>> others are saying, read reviews etc, I won't be able to
> get
>> one for quite some time - even if I wanted one - but -
>> judging by the Youtube video I referred to earlier -
we're
>> going to see some most interesting chatter regarding this
>> machine in the weeks and months ahead.

>> cabability. not sure what that means. it also has a fm
>> radio. it seams pretty interesting, but i don't know if
> i'll
>> drop the over $700 for the thing. its over $700 because
> they
>> charge shipping. the other thing that bothers me is
unlike
>> other technology these things don't go down in price. so
> if
>> you don't buy it right away and want to wait, it doesn't
>> matter because the price won't go down. i guess they are
>> counting on a lot of agency perchases.
>> Ootunes like the victor.

>> Media Player that Gives Blindand Visually Impaired
>> Near-instant Access to Printed Text

> when
>> it came out i
>> $1000. i just wonder
>> was. it has a lot of
>> wonder if they are
>> less than when it came
would
>> have come down a

>> be by the time it reaches the Land Downunder.

thought

http://www.prweb.com/releases/blindness-low-vision-tech/HIMS