From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2014 4:20 PM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: DLNA Devices

Hmm interesting, I doubt whether the Apple TV will support this as its a
"Closed" device, I don't think it even has the mory to support extra Apps,
that's why I strongly advise against buying the Apple TV when there are so
many other solutions around which are open to third party development,
either that or they're far more flexible in what they do.

On 22 Sep 2014, at 3:56 am, Rick Alfaro <rick.alf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My one thought on this topic is that I really wish that the Apple TV
> supported DLNA! I'm hoping the next generation of Apple TV will support
this
> or at least allow third party apps on the device that could add DLNA
> support.  I have several devices that support DLNA and none of them are
> visible to an Apple TV currently.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Rick Alfaro

Media
> Server, this is typically a hard drive or NAS storage unit connected to a
> Home Network.
>
> Many devices available are not accessible to these media servers given
their
> menu systems and no built in speech capabilities so "Dead End" I hear you
> cry? Well not quite.
>
> I have quite a few devices which have DLNA compatibility built into them
and
> I'm able to utilise the DLNA functions of each through DLNA management
Apps
> on my IOS device.
>
> When the App is launched on say an iPhone it comes up with a list of DLNA
> compatible servers attached to your network, these may include hard
drives,
> computers etc.
>
> From here you select the type of content you wish to see, you can "Browse
> Folders" for particular content or select a category such as "Music".
>
> What then is displayed depends very much on the category selected, if you
> select "Music" then you'll see various sub categories such as Artist,
Album,