There are several converters that should allow going from .mp3 to an .m4a. In order to keep the length of the files short though, normally around 30 seconds for a ringtone, I've always done the conversion within ITunes. The extension for the ringtones is simply the .m4a filetype with its extension changed. I'm still using an older version of ITunes that has the sidebar, but, if you need help figuring it out, I can give it a shot.
Take care.