Hi!

Ikay, I managed to track down a review of the Degen 1103 Version 2.0 review.

There is quite a difference in design with the version 2.0 over the original in that this new version uses a DSP aproach as do most modern radios - DSP means Digital Signal Processing so in other words this radio is a SDR - Software Defined Radio - with a computer for want of a better description running the software which defines how the radio functions and what its capable of -.

As you'll see in the review the chaps actually doing the hard yards with the radio were hugely disappointed as I would be if I encountered the problems mentioned in any Short Wave Radio I have.

Several Suggestions are made regarding alternatives for the 1103 Version 2.0 - not the least is the original Degen 1103 if you can still get one -, I have my own views of the suggested replacements and I offer them thus.

The CC Skywave - whilst a fun an practical radio to use with many features - does not have excellent sensitivity on the Medium-Wave band and certainly doesn't perform well on Short Wave.

All the Tecsun sets I've tested have performed well on Short Wave but are absolutely terrible on Medium Wave, the best Tecsun performer on Medium-Wave I've seen is the PL880 and even that was very average compared to other sets.

So for a cheap travel radio what would I suggest? Well again depending on your needs, if you just want FM/AM then you can't beat the Sangean PDR19.

If its Short Wave listening you want as well then the new Sangean aTS405 is certainly worth a look.