From: Pc-audio [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: 29 September 2016 12:13
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: Sonos Connect AMP.

Well firstly and someone may correct me on this, the songs connect needs an amp
to run with and I can t see any logical reason as to why you couldn t use your
Songs connect with your existing 5.1 system, you d probably want to use a
digital connection as a link between the Connect and your system, I m sure your
system would have at least 1 digital input - either coax or optical, the Songs
Connect will handle it -.
Asfar as Sonos Speakers go? I ve never seen much value in them myself either
though again, if that s what people want then that s fair enough.
Wy don t I see much value in Songs Play speaker systems? Because - to my way of
thinking - they re too limited.
The two cheapest models - last time I looked - didn t even have an Aux-in
connection so one had to get the top Songs Play3 I think the model is for
around $900 if I remember rightly.
Even then - if you wanted stereo sound from that speaker - you needed two to
make a stereo set, that s a lot of money for a set of stereo speakers when
there are far better options out there for this sort of money.
Then there s the fact that Sonos systems don t support HD audio, not a feature
that most would worry about I suspect but for that amount of money? Yeah, i d
be furious given I have a collection of HD files.
And finally, Sonos doesn t support AirPlay - not sure if it supports bluetooth
-, the only way you ll get AirPlay working is to buy a Songs Play3 and connect
an Airport Express or something similar to the Aux-in jack and no, the Aux-in
is only analogue believe it or not.
As for the Songs Connect? I reckon that s a far better value for money
proposition for most people in most cases given they already have existing
systems of one form or another.
I opted for the Bowers And Wilkins A7 as people would know and the A7 is
flexible in many ways, firstly it can be connected to the USB port of a
computer - Mac or Windows - thus acts as a Computer desktop system.
Then the A7 supports AirPlay.
On top of that the A7 has both analogue and digital inputs, only one of each
but that will do - so I ve taken advantage of the digital input to connect my
Sangean DDR66 desktop music system which plays CD S - multi format -, can play
audio files from a SD card or USB stick, has Internet radio along with Digital
and FM Radio, Spotify connect, can stream from DLNA devices and - on top of all
that - has a nice IOS/Android controller App, yes quite a powerful little
system for my bedside table.
So that s one option and there are many other good options from where that one
came from.

> On 29 Sep. 2016, at 8:22 pm, Jim Noseworthy
> <jim.nosewor...@compuconference.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gang:
>

> I've been looking at Sonos equipment and, I am very impressed with the
> connectivity to music services and the accessibility of the Sonos app.
> I am, however, at a loss as to why the Sonos system would be
> considered as a serious first line stereo system in the home.  Even
> though the Play:5 is a remarkable speaker system, it is, after all, still a
> portable speaker.
>

> I can certainly see the awesome value in a Sonos Connect being
> utilized on an existing stereo system: which brings me to my point. I
> have an old HarmonCarton 5.1 amplifier and I would like to replace it.
> Therefore, what is the good, the bad, and the ugly, concerning the Sonos
> Connect Amplifier.
>

> BTW: are most of you Sonos owners using the sub-woofer?
>

> Thanks all over the place gang.

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of the
halfwits in this world behind.