Yes, its useable but you’ve pointed out the problems.
First thing I would say is that your device is using an earlier version of
Bluetooth, I’ve not seen Bluetooth 4.0 or later time out like this, what you’re
describing is all to familiar to me and the quality factor you described would
indicate to me that an earlier version of Bluetooth is being used.
The Samsung Galaxy S6 phone has a way around this problem, its rather an
unusual way of tackling the problem but I have to say it works.
Okay, suppose you really want this device for taking phone calls when they come
in or when you’re dialling out, you can set the Samsung to only use the device
for the phone thus all your other speech and sound - until you’re on a call -
comes out through the speakers or connected headphones.
Again, crude but I’ve found it very effective.