From: "Martin Paul" <mar...@par.univie.ac.at>
To: "PCA (Patch Check Advanced) Discussion" <pca@lists.univie.ac.at>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 9:24:59 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [pca] FW: Request logging facility

Hi,

>> Would it be possible to add logging to pca, IE- when a recommended
>> cluster patch set is run, it creates a log file in
>> /var/sadm/install_data. Can pca be altered to create a log file with
>> all the patches that were installed in a similar fashion ?

pca sends messages for every installed patch to syslog, you should find
the ouput in /var/adm/messages. This is sufficient in most cases.

If you want more detailed log output, I would use something like this to
redirect pca's complete output to a logfile:

pca --install ... 2>&1 | tee -a /var/tmp/pca-install.log

This will show the complete output from pca on screen, as usual, but
also append it to the file /var/tmp/pca-install.log.

Martin.