Alexander,

--16:22:21--  http://winds06.win.ch.da.rtr/cgi-bin/pca-proxy.cgi?119252-28
           => `/data/patches/winds06/119252-28.tmp'
Resolving winds06.win.ch.da.rtr... 10.0.1.26, 10.0.1.26
Connecting to winds06.win.ch.da.rtr|10.0.1.26|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 500 119252-28 not found
16:22:42 ERROR 500: 119252-28 not found.

You're downloading through a pca proxy. Therefore the error code (500) is not what's returned from SunSolve, but from the the proxy. It only tells us that the proxy failed to download the patch from SunSolve, but not why. You would have to either enable debug mode on the proxy, using "debug=1" in the pca-proxy.conf file, or try the download without patchurl pointing at the proxy.

Here's a list of the possible SunSolve error codes I've seen so far and what they mean:

404 Not Found:

You're trying to download a patch/revision which doesn't exist on SunSolve.

401 Unauthorized:

The username/password you provided to SunSolve is not correct.

403 Forbidden:

The username/password is correct, but it's not connected to a support contract and you're trying to download a restricted patch. This can point at an internal SunSolve error, where it doesn't check your authentication correctly.

500 Internal Server Error:

You've hit a broken download server in SunSolve's pool. Re-try later, either Sun will fix the broken server or you will be directed at a different server.

I've thought about parsing the error codes in pca to return a verbose message, but I would have to rely both on wget's debug output format and on SunSolve to provide the same error codes persistently. I don't think that's a safe assumption.

I suppose PCA (or rather, Sunsolve) fails, because the patch is too
new?

Hm, I've downloaded the patch successfully at "Wed Mar 11 08:54:34 2009 MET" - earlier than you? I usually download all new patches every day at that time, and it's been a looong time since I've seen a patch failing to download for the reason that it didn't exist.

I don't say that it's not possible that this happened, but as far as I can say, it wouldn't be normal that the xref file is being published before the new patches are available on SunSolve.

Martin.