Hi,

thanks for your help. I did try to add the mentioned packages but after that I got even more of these error messages, so I did not try further.

Yes, the problem is that package A again will require package B and C, and so on, and finally you end up installing "Entire Distribution" anyway. I've always been a fan of "don't install what you don't need", too, but Sun doesn't seem to favour this approach anymore.

Perhaps there could be implemented a "distribution service" in pca? We use a proxy-setup and all of our client machines have identical pca.conf files.

I guess NFS (and a central pca.conf) is not feasible for you? The idea of having a central pca.conf on a proxy might be worth thinking about in the future, though. I'll put it on my ToDo list, but don't expect anything soon.

I'm wondering, why this problem had not hit me earlier. I use pca for about 2 years now (GREAT THANKS again to you!) without the need to add even ONE ignore line. So I thought this is a special problem which could be solved by the Sunny boys or you.

I've had similar issues reported to me, but probably not more than one per year. Actually, I agree that Sun should be able to fix this. IMHO, it's a bug when package A doesn't require package B, but a patch for package A requires a patch for package B. If you can install package A without package B, I guess you should always be able to install a patch for package A without requiring a patch for package B.

Thanks again. I really don't know what to do if pca would no exists.

Thanks, me neither. If it wouldn't exist, I'd have to create it :)

Martin.