Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:05:46 +0200
From: Martin Paul <mar...@par.univie.ac.at>
To: "PCA (Patch Check Advanced) Discussion" <pca@lists.univie.ac.at>
Subject: [pca] new kernel patches

The new kernel patches for Solaris 10 (from 10/09) have been published today:

 141444-09: SunOS 5.10: kernel patch
 141445-09: SunOS 5.10_x86: kernel patch

As always, the README states that they should be installed in single-user mode and a reconfiguration boot should follow the installation.

As always, I installed them in multi-user mode and continued to add other patches on my test machines :) This time, though, the x86 system refused to install further patches; patchadd showed an error about not being able to create a lock, seems to be connected to pkgserv. Plus, when I issued an "init 6" to reboot the machines I got a syslog error:

 /var/log/kern: ... unix: NOTICE: unrecognized ioctl 0x69534331

The machines didn't go down; I had to use "reboot" and/or "Stop-A; reset-all" to get them to reboot cleanly.

Beware - I do *not* say that the patches are faulty, just that it might be a good idea to follow Sun's advice to *really* install those in single-user mode. I definitely would do that on any production machine.

Martin.