On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Jones, Dave <dave.jo...@maritz.com> wrote:

> Hi Team.
>
> This is a bit off-topic but I have a few questions about OpenSolaris as
> it regards to to support & patching.
> I thought someone on the list (maybe even Don) might know the answers.
>
> 1) Do the Sun support subscriptions for OpenSolaris offer the same
> levels and types of support as they do for Solaris?
> 2) Is anyone on the list running OpenSolaris in th place of Solaris on
> Test/Dev/Prod?  If so what are your experiences?
> 3) Does IPS/OpenSolaris/Sun still "require" you perform patch installs
> in Single User mode on OpenSolaris?
>
> We are strongly considering migrating off of Sun if we cannot get out of
> the 8 - 12 hour patch windows we currently need to patch some of our
> systems.

bad process and design.

> Live Upgrade is not an option because of several factors in our
> environment, including excapsulated root disks with VxVM

That's a pretty lame excuse for not using live upgrade. there is
absolutely zero value add for VxVM on the root disk.  SVM or
ZFS is a much better option.

>and several  containers per host.

So you must be running Solaris 10.  You really need to look
at ZFS root, and Live upgrade with boot environments.

We are using them in production.

> We cannot justify staying on Solaris under these conditions when Linux
> allows us to patch the whole box in minutes while still at run level 3.
> In fact, with Ksplice we do not even need to reboot to change kernels in
> Linux anymore.

another lame argument.  Architect and design your systems with the
proper design constraints, and you won't have to make these outlandish
arguments.

> If OpenSolaris and IPS does meets our needs then we can move in that
> direction.

If you're that concerned about stuff, you shouldn't be talking about
Open Solaris.

Ben