I was just going through the process of patching a Live Update/Upgrade
(LU) alternate boot environment (BE) and the following came to me.

PCA always applies the latest "Install and Patch Utilities Patch" first
when doing any patching.  Great idea as that solves some issues
especially it seems with Solaris 10.   But I just realized while doing
the  LU boot patching that this doesn't help when using -R.   I noticed
that the first patch applied is the same, but it is applied to the
alternate root.   PCA continues to use the patchadd from the BE that is
not patched, thus no benefit of any fixes from the  "Install and Patch
Utilities Patch".   Of course, this isn't limited to LU, but anytime -R
is used.

Anyway, I started patching the current BE with this patch before running
the pca -R version for the alternate BE.    I wanted others to know in
case they were also doing pca patching of alternate BE's under LU, or
using -R in general.

Martin, I was also wondering if you could add information to the
documentation and/or a warning when -R is used to this affect.

                --Dave