I just wanted to point out that you can modify /etc/patch/pdo.conf and
set num_proc to something higher than the default of 1.  This will patch
num_proc zones in parallel when patchadd runs.  For example, if you have
many cpus and 10 zones, it shouldn't take much more time than twice what
it took to patch the global alone if you set the value to ten, as they
will all run in parallel.  I have a couple of T2000s with a global and 4
container zones.  The first (num_proc=1) took hours (4-5) to add about
120 patches.  The other system I made sure the parameter above was set
to 5.  Patching on that server for the same 120 or so patches (identical
setups) took a little over an hour.  You can really see the difference
with the Java patches.

BTW, the parameter is described in the patchadd man page, just search
for parallel.

        --Dave