On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Paul B. Henson wrote:

; On 10/20/2010 7:29 AM, Glen Gunselman wrote:
; Sun's x86 machines are definitely a step down from the capabilities of their
; SPARC systems, even ones years older. If a problem like this occurred on one
; of my SPARC servers, I'd simply break into the prom and force a kernel panic,
; resulting in a nice juicy crash dump suitable for forensic analysis. As far as
; I can tell, the only way on x86 to make this happen is to initially boot the
; system from the kernel debugger, and leave it running under the debugger
; indefinitely until the problem occurs 8-/. I'm also still disgusted about the
; continued lack of serial console logging support on the ILOM :(.

You can force a panic on x86 via an NMI through an IPMI interface if the
hardware supports it and you've set the right parameters in /etc/system.

Here's an article on how to do it:

http://www.cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=1044

Regards,

Andy