Fred wrote:
Ideally, I would like the sysadmin running the pca client to use the -a
argument so that he/she is prompted for the MOS credentials interactively,
but doing this doesn't seem to send the credentials to the proxy server.

This should work, actually. You should see this in the client's debug output:

Adding to /tmp/pca.452179: header=X_PCA_USER: <user>
Adding to /tmp/pca.452179: header=X_PCA_PASSWD: <passwd>

It adds custom headers containing user/passwd to be set by wget when connecting to the PCA proxy. On the proxy side, you should see this in the debug output:

Tue May 10 10:01:40 2011: Option user: <user>
Tue May 10 10:01:40 2011: Option passwd: <passwd>

I can't guarantee that this works in all possible setups (especially when web proxies are involved), but I just tested it in my simple setup here, and it works fine.

I'm hesitating to offer help on debug here because this might get complicated, but if it doesn't work as expected, post debug output from the client and the pca proxy when running e.g. "pca --debug --user USER --passwd PASSWD --download 146768-02" against a proxy which doesn't have user/passwd set in pca-proxy.conf. I'll see what I can do.

Martin.