Neil,

I'd like to automate this process in such a way that the tool would
automatically know that these patches are not needed to be installed and avoid
having the failures. The goal would be that patches are not attempted to be
installed if they are already obsoleted by any newer patch. Would this new
functionality be something that PCA could be enhanced to perform?

Actually this check is already done by PCA, and it works fine - unless the "--minimal" option is used. So you found another bug, which I have fixed now in the current development release of PCA. My tests look fine, but it would be great if you could try it on your system as well and let me know about the result.

If I'm right, this should also fix the other issue you reported (118844-20 being listed with --minimal although 118855-36 is installed).

Thanks for the report,
Martin.