Dear PCE WG chairs,

                In the last PCE meeting, it was mentioned by the WG chairs that
the function of LSP initiation by the PCE  (presented in the draft
draft-crabbe-pce-pce-initiated-lsp-00) is out of the scope of current WG
charter. Current IETF stateful PCE draft () supports the function of
delegation, which is an operation to grant a PCE temporary rights to modify a
subset of tunnel parameters on one or more PCC's tunnels. However, current
charter (http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/pce/charter/) says nothing about this
function, but the draft was (surprisingly) quickly accepted as WG document.
Current charter says "The PCE Working Group is chartered to specify the
required protocols so as to enable a Path Computation Element (PCE)-based
architecture for the computation of paths for MPLS and GMPLS Point to Point and
Point to Multi-point Traffic Engineered LSPs." That is "computation", not
control... So,  could you explain why initiation is not in charter and
delegation of control is in charter?

                My opinion in the matter of the stateful PCE is that we should
separate the functionality is different functional elements, in the same way as
it was done in the Framework for PCE-Based Inter-Layer MPLS and GMPLS Traffic
Engineering (RFC 5623) between a VNTM and the PCE. In such RFC, the roles of
each functional element are clearly distinguished. Let be the stateful PCE a
Path Computation element using the traffic engineering database and the LSP
database, and then, define another functional element (call it LSP controller,
call it manager) that is in care of the control issues.

                Said that, I must say that I like the new functionalities
proposed , and I think they solve problems (and people also did like them, as
the stateful draft was supported by the WG people). What I do not like at all
is how it is being handled. There has been a solution quickly adopted without
taking any care in the architectural/functional implications. In my opinion we
should handle them now.

                Best Regards,

                               Óscar

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar
nuestra política de envío y recepción de correo electrónico en el enlace
situado más abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and
receive email on the basis of the terms set out at: