Thanks, please also see inline. I will remove sections that do not seem to need
further comment.

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 8:35 AM, Dhruv Dhody <dhruv.dh...@huawei.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for your review. See inline..

[…]

>> DISCUSS:
>>
>> -3.4, step 2: "Peer validation always SHOULD include a check on whether
>>   the locally configured expected DNS name or IP address of
>>   the peer that is contacted matches its presented
>>   certificate."
>>
>> Why is that not a MUST? As it is, this need to at least discuss the risks
>> involved if you don't check the identity of the peer cert (here or in the
>> security considerations.)
>>
> [[Dhruv Dhody]] Reworded to say -
>
>          +  Implementations MUST follow the rules and guidelines for
>             peer validation as defined in [RFC6125].  If an expected
>             DNS name or IP address for the peer is configured, then the
>             implementations MUST check them against the values in the
>             presented certificate.

Thanks, that would resolve my DISCUSS position.

>> COMMENT:
>>
>> Substantive:
>>
>> - I share Warren's question about why you chose STARTTLS over a dedicated
>> port, especially since the 2nd to last paragraph in 3.2 goes out of its
>> way to mention that. What were the tradeoffs involved that made adding the
>> additional protocol machinery more attractive than allocating a port
>> number?
>>
> [[Dhruv Dhody]] I have added this text -
>
>   This document uses the standard StartTLS procedure in PCEP, instead
>   of using a different port for the secured session.  This is done to
>   avoid requesting allocation of another port number for the PCEPS.
>   The StartTLS procedure makes more efficient use of scarce port
>   numbers and allow simpler configuration of PCEP.

That’s helpful, but it only shows the benefits side of the tradeoff. I assume
people thought the additional protocol complexity was a reasonable cost to bear?

>> - 3.2: "Implementations MUST support SHA-256 as defined by [SHS] as
>>          the hash algorithm for the fingerprint."
>> Do you really intend "MUST support" (meaning you have to be able to handle
>> sha-256, but could allow other hashes) vs "MUST use"?
>>
> [[Dhruv Dhody]] Yes, additional hash algorithm MAY also be supported/used.

Is there an expectation people will use multiple hash algorithms side-by-side?
Or is this for purposes of hash agility?

>> - 3.5: "Implementations
>>   that want to support a wide variety of trust models SHOULD expose as
>>   many details of the presented certificate to the administrator as
>> possible
>>   so that the trust model can be implemented by the administrator."
>> "as much as possible" is pretty vague for the a 2119 SHOULD. Since the
>> following sentences also include a SHOULD along with considerably more
>> detail, I suggest dropping the SHOULD in this sentence, and leaving the
>> one in the following sentence.
>>
> [[Dhruv Dhody]] Ack.
>
>> - 3.6: Is the exponential backoff requirement part of the procedures in
>> 5440?
>> The wording suggests that it is not. If so, it needs elaboration here.
>>
> [[Dhruv Dhody]] It is part of RFC5440, text updated to -
>
>   The initiator SHOULD follow the procedure listed in [RFC5440] to
>   retry session setup as per the exponential back-off session
>   establishment retry procedure.
>
>> Editorial:
>>
>> - 3.2, paragraph 8: s/"... PCE MUST responds with..."/ "...PCE MUST
>> respond with..."
>>
> [[Dhruv Dhody]] Ack
>
>> - 3.4 : "Negotiation of mutual authentication is REQUIRED."
>> Does that mean that the peers must elect to use mutual authentication, or
>> that if they want to use it, they must agree to do so? (The pattern
>> persists throughout the section, but the meaning seems more obvious for
>> some of the
>> others.)
>>
> [[Dhruv Dhody]] I am also not sure, this was added keeping RFC6614 as our
> reference.
> Since TLS supports multiple authentication mode, this might be a say mutual
> as well as server-only authentication should be supported. But not sure about
> the word negotiation here. I think we can remove this statement, will do so
> once you confirm. he

The important thing is that the intent of the WG is clear. Do you mean to say
that the working group intended to allow both server-only and mutual
authentication, or do you mean to say the working group did not think about it?

[…]
Thanks!

Ben.