Hi Mike

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 14:09, Mike Koldychev (mkoldych) <mkold...@cisco.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dhruv,

[MC] that's assuming that the PCE always sends 0, and not the previously
returned value, at that point why bother using or tracking association ?

<cut>

> BTW, what are your thoughts on the operator-configured association in the
> previous email? Not viable?
>
> [MK] You could set AssocExtID=Color, but I’m not sure what you would set
> Source to? Can we just set it to 0.0.0.0/0::0 and be done? Isn't that
> also a "special value"?

AssocExtID=Color, endpoint

Source should be a valid IP address, 0.0.0.0 looks OK, but I am rusty on
that.
0 is reserved, 0xFFFF is all assocation, 1 works as a fixed number not in a
reserved range.

> > All of this can be avoided if we just allow Source/ID to be 0 in PCInit
> messages. Is that really such a big change?
> >

> No, but the WG worked on RFC 8697 to make sure all the associations can be
> handled in a common way as much as possible. When deviating from that, IMHO
> a higher bar should be met. The WG should ponder if it is met here based on
> the scenario described above, that's all.
>
> [MK] I fully understand, but the value of 0 is reserved in that RFC. Can
> each application use 0/0.0.0.0/0::0 for its own purpose? Is that
> allowed/forbidden in the RFC?

 <cut>