From: Gyan Mishra [mailto:hayabusa...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 12:24 PM
To: Dhruv Dhody <d...@dhruvdhody.com>
Cc: draft-li-pce-pcep-p...@ietf.org; pce@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pce] WG Adoption of draft-li-pce-pcep-pmtu-05

Hi Dhruv

I reviewed the draft and support WG adoption.

Should this draft be adopted by the PCE WG?

Yes

Please state your reasons - Why / Why not?

This documents PCEP PMTU extension is valuable for any operator deployments of
SR-MPLS or SRv6 and/or uses SR-TE and want to ensure that fragmentation does
not occur along the stateful path instantiated.

What needs to be fixed before or after adoption?

The document well written and to the point and is ready for adoption

Are you willing to work on this draft?

Yes I would be happy to collaborate on the draft

Review comments should be posted to the list.

Few comments for the authors below:

It maybe worthwhile to mention PMTUD path MTU discovery which allows a TCP
session to dynamically adjust the MSS for incoming and outgoing MSS.  As this
document utilizes PMTU which is based on the PMTUD concept which is being
carried in a new metric field in the PCEP report message I think for clarity it
would.

BGP uses TCP and by default most all vendor implementations have PMTUD enabled
by default on all BGP sessions.  Maybe worthwhile mentioning.

Shuping> This document just defines a new metric type for PCEP, I am not sure
if we need to repeat the benefit of why MTU discovery is useful. And if
something must be said than just a reference to existing RFC should suffice.

In the abstract I don’t understand this sentence.

Since the SR does not require signaling, the path maximum

transmission unit (MTU) information for SR path is not available.

Shuping> For RSVP-TE signaled paths we have mechanism in RSVP-TE signaling to
get path-MTU. In SR we do not have this mechanism. The above text is
highlighting this point.

I understand SR eliminates the control plane signaling for label distribution
LDP which is now via IGP extension, but how does that make it so the SR MTU
information is not available.  Directed LDP is for adjacency nodes or targeted
LDP for session protection for non directly connected nodes.

RFC 5036 LDP does not support signaling for MTU.

RFC 7552 LDP updates for IPv6 also does not support signaling for MTU.

RFC 3988 is an experimental extension to support signaling for MTU.

I see RFC 3988 as a informational reference.

I think it would be good to mention what I stated above related to LDP not
providing any signaling for MTU and RFC 3988 as its experimental and not
standard track also not implemented by all vendors.

Shuping> PCE plays no role in LDP, you will not find any such information in
any PCE document.

Section 3.5 mentions that path MTU adjustment can be made for primary or TI-LFA
local protection path.

I would think this can be used for SR-TE protected path instantiated by
stateful PCE but not for local protection.

Shuping> The text says that the overhead because of TI-LFA can still be
calculated and adjusted.

Also would this draft be applicable to Non SR MPLS and GMPLS LDP signaling RFC
3988 is experimental only so MPLS and GMPLS as well have a gap for MTU
signaling.  I do see you stated in the introduction.  You may want to state the
gap that exists as RFC 3988 is experimental and now this solution fills that
gap as well.

Shuping> This can be used for other path setup types. But PCE plays no role in
LDP and thus your comment does not apply.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Shuping

Thanks

Gyan

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 12:10 PM Dhruv Dhody