>From: EricVyncke(evyncke) <evyn...@cisco.com>
>To: John Scudder <j...@juniper.net>;Dhruv Dhody <d...@dhruvdhody.com>;
>Cc: The IESG <i...@ietf.org>;draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-fl...@ietf.org
><draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-fl...@ietf.org>;pce-cha...@ietf.org
><pce-cha...@ietf.org>;pce@ietf.org <pce@ietf.org>;
Date: 2022年10月18日 05:19
Subject: Re: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on
draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-flags-07: (with COMMENT)
It is also fine with me, except that I would prefer 'octet' rather than 'byte'
;-) (mostly joking BTW)

-éric

On 17/10/2022, 21:34, "John Scudder" <j...@juniper.net> wrote:

    It’s Éric’s ballot :-) but your proposal looks OK to me. Personally, I
would copy the language from RFC 5440 verbatim ("MUST always be a multiple of
4, and at least 4”) but what you have works too.

    —John

    > On Oct 17, 2022, at 3:31 PM, Dhruv Dhody <d...@dhruvdhody.com> wrote:
    >

    > [External Email. Be cautious of content]
    >

    > Hi Eric/John,
    >
    > How about this text -
    >
    > Length (16 bits): indicates the length of the value portion in bytes.
    >  It MUST be in multiples of 4 and greater than 0.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Dhruv
    >
    > On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 9:18 PM Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <evyn...@cisco.com>
wrote:
    > John
    >
    > I got the information from the section 7.1 indeed and when the value
parts are in 32-bit words, then it is a multiple of 4 octets, i.e., 0, 4, 8,
... while my first reading would be 0, 1, 2 (as the unit appeared to be 32-bit
words and not octets)

    > -éric
    >
    > On 17/10/2022, 15:30, "John Scudder" <j...@juniper.net> wrote:
    >
    >     One additional comment to Éric’s point --
    >
    >     > On Oct 17, 2022, at 3:44 AM, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker
<nore...@ietf.org> wrote:
    >     >
    >     > `Length (16 bits): multiple of 4 octets.` is rather confusing... Is
this field
    >     > counting 32-bit words ? I had to read RFC 5440 to understand that
the 'value'
    >     > part is always a multiple of 4 octets. Strongly suggest to say
"Length (16
    >     > bits): length of the value expressed in octets”.
    >
    >     This seems like a good change, but if the multiple-of-4 constraint is
required I think you’d need to add more words, as in “Length (16 bits): length
of the value, expressed in octets. This value MUST be a multiple of 4. (And at
least 4? Or is 0 a legal value?)

    >     Éric, I took a look at RFC 5440, §7.1, "PCEP TLV Format” seems to be
the applicable section. It has this:

    >        The Length field defines the length of the value portion in bytes.
    >        The TLV is padded to 4-bytes alignment; padding is not included in
    >        the Length field (so a 3-byte value would have a length of 3, but
the
    >        total size of the TLV would be 8 bytes).
    >
    >     If that’s what you were thinking of, ISTM it explicitly says the
length field does not have to be a multiple of 4. So AFAICT this is indeed a
new requirement and should be expressed here, but you’re right that it can be
clearer. I believe multiple-of-4 is a genuine requirement, related to "The LSP
Extended Flags field is an array of units of 32 flags” (§3.2).

    >     If I’ve missed some other part of RFC 5440 that you were referring
to, I’d be curious to know what it was. I do see that §7.2 has “MUST always be
a multiple of 4, and at least 4”, but that’s for PCEP objects which this spec
isn’t, rather it’s a TLV within an object, and AFAICT that doesn’t have the
same constraint in the base spec.