Hi All,

I’m coming back to this old thread as I follow up on my AD review of the draft.
My attention was caught by Samuel’s point that the SHOULD/MAY is justified by,
"PCE can still have a way to detect that it is talking to legacy PCCs and it
can fallback to original behavior to do not break backward compatibility.”

If this is indeed the reason for the SHOULD/MAY, I think it’s desirable to make
it as clear as possible in the spec, for example (added sentence)

OLD:
   When both L flag and E flag are set to 0, then the PCE SHOULD
   consider the protection eligibility as an UNPROTECTED PREFERRED
   constraint but MAY consider protection eligibility as an UNPROTECTED
   MANDATORY constraint.

NEW:
   When both L flag and E flag are set to 0, then the PCE SHOULD
   consider the protection eligibility as an UNPROTECTED PREFERRED
   constraint but MAY consider protection eligibility as an UNPROTECTED
   MANDATORY constraint. An example of when the latter behavior might
   be chosen is if the PCE has some means (outside the scope of this
   document) to detect that it’s interacting with a legacy PCC that expects
   the legacy behavior.

I think some change like this would go a long way toward heading off further
questions on this point during IETF Last Call and IESG review.

Thanks,

—John