Hi John (and everyone else!)

Sorry for not writing earlier, I'm in Brazil in the field so haven't had the
time to respond with a well thought out response and plan of attack for
increasing the societies visibility and involvement from members (as well as
attracting new ones!).

First off don't be put off by one person's off hand (and hurtful) remark. I
(and I believe the membership at large) appreciate anyone who is taking an
interest in the society and willing to actually do things to further it (such
as yourself!)
I completely agree that we need to increase our online presences, both in terms
of a static site/blog and our Facebook page. The Facebook page has already
gotten over 100 'likes' since we started it in mid-November with our peek
'reach' running at 240 people! I would say that is not so bad and shows a real
interest in our society and the information on the Facebook page.  This can
only get better, especially if more people become involved in posting items,
ideas, field trips, cool insects, etc. Our last meeting/talk was one of the
best attended in a while and it would be great to see that kind of turn out
consistently. Social media can only help that to happen.

Please, anyone who is interested in contributing to the FB page please let me
know and I will add you as an admin so you can post as the society. It would
be great to have other Entomology related events posted on the website (i.e.
entomological talks happening at the universities, things happening in related
groups etc.)

We could easily add a blog to the website (or change the website to a blog)
using Wordpress or a similar blog site. This is very easy to setup and provides
a more static presence as we can create static pages associated with it
detailing the purpose of the society, contacts etc. This also serves as a more
traditional style medium for written reports, and interesting topical articles
if members are inclined to write them (and I hope that some will be!)

I know that our society has a wide range of backgrounds, interests and ages,
and I believe this is one of our strengths. However the only way that the
society will continue to exist is if we continue to attract and inform new
(typically younger) members, and the way this happens these days is by
maintaining an online presence.

We have a culture that is dedicated to reductionism and societies like ours are
doing our best to counteract that by sharing our love of whole organisms, their
interactions with each other and how the whole picture fits together. Let's do
anything we can to help make that message heard and embrace any mode (be it
electronic, paper, fireworks or zeppelins) we can of helping other to see our
passion and appreciate our six-legged (and sometimes 8- or more-legged) friends.

Best wishes

Chris

PS I forgot to mention that of course the listserv is an important component to
keeping people involved, without it we wouldn't be having this discussion!

Dr. Chris Borkent
Postdoctoral Researcher
Plant Pest Diagnostics Center
California Department of Food and Agriculture
3294 Meadowview Road
Sacramento, CA 95832, USA
email: chris.bork...@mail.mcgill.ca<mailto:chris.bork...@mail.mcgill.ca>
phone: (916) 262-1152