Just a final reminder of tonights PCES meeting tonight at UC Berkekely.

Hope to see you all there!

Cheers

Chris

First Pacific Coast Entomological Society fall meeting:
<https://www.facebook.com/events/451277901749451/?ref=1&feed_story_type=117&action_history=%5B%7B%22surface%22%3A%22permalink%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22surface%22%2C%22extra_data%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D>

Tales from the tundra: the biodiversity and natural history of Arctic
arthropods
<https://www.facebook.com/events/451277901749451/?ref=1&feed_story_type=117&action_history=%5B%7B%22surface%22%3A%22permalink%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22surface%22%2C%22extra_data%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D>

Speaker: Dr. Chris Buddle, McGill University, Quebec

7pm October 12th, 2015

Room 2063 Valley Life Science Building, UC Berkeley

Arctic arthropods are diverse, abundant and play key ecological roles in
tundra habitats. Spider and beetle assemblages are structured by biomes,
with the sub-arctic fauna distinct from the communities in the high Arctic.
The reasons behind these patterns are less clear, in part because we know
little about the basic biology and natural history of most northern
species. Drawing upon case studies from Arctic-dwelling pseudoscorpions,
beetles and spiders, this seminar will illustrate the important lessons
that can be learned by studying natural history, and how data about natural
history can inform the science of biogeography, evolution and ecology.

Chris Buddle is an Associate Professor of Insect Ecology at McGill
University in Montreal Quebec, Canada. His research interests are varied,
from canopy ecology to integrated pest management and biodiversity of
arthropods in Arctic Canada. Chris is interested in understanding the links
between habitat features, ecosystem processes and arthropod biodiversity.He
is also a great, engaging speaker with a real passion for Entomology and
Biodiversity, I highly recommend you come! (you can check out his blog at
http://arthropodecology.com/
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Farthropodecology.com%2F&h=DAQEKV0FG&enc=AZMirevmaMjsjZEau62TdostyyADpArqlmThLYoECpMWZCJrdHB5DfuoeYUYMJlxRjs&s=1>
)

The talk will be at 7pm (or shortly there after) and preceded by supper at
6pm for those who are interested in some socializing. Both the dinner and
talk will be held in room 2063 Valley Life Science Building. We will do as
we have the last few meetings and bring food in for 10-11$/person. Please
let Pete Oboyski (poboy...@berkeley.edu) know if you are planning to come
for dinner so that he can get the appropriate amounts.

Dr. Chris Borkent
Postdoctoral Researcher
California State Collection of Arthropods, California Department of Food
and Agriculture
3294 Meadowview Road,
Sacramento, CA 95832, USA

email: chris.bork...@gmail.com