Hello again,

I received this OE email from "Return-Path: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
(according to the Properties > Details window). I don't have the computer
anymore; it's with my granddaughter.

"Attention Hewlett-Packard Pavilion customers - your legal rights may be
affected

Our records indicate that you purchased a Hewlett-Packard ("HP") Pavilion
desktop computer model number 8655c, 8660c, 8750c, 8754c, 8755c, xl756, or
xl759 (the "Affected Models").

The purpose of this e-mail is to inform you of a proposed settlement of a
class action: Schaffer v. Hewlett-Packard Company, Case No. 04-71391 in the
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. The
Plaintiff alleges that the Affected Models were sold with defective
motherboards that caused recurring "hanging, freezing or locking" problems
during normal use. The goal of the Settlement is to provide relief to those
persons who purchased one of the Affected Models. If you did in fact purchase
one of the Affected Models, you may be a member of the class and your rights
will be affected by the legal proceedings in the class action.

We have attached a Claim Form (which you may need to complete in order to
receive certain settlement benefits) and a full Notice of the Proposed
Settlement. The Claim Form will describe the settlement benefits to which you
are entitled and will provide you with detailed instructions on how to obtain
your settlement benefits. If you have any problems opening the attached Notice
or Claim Form, please contact the settlement administrator at 1-877-874-7559
to obtain a copy of the Claim Form and Notice. You can also get more
information and answers to common questions by visiting the Settlement website
at www.hppavilionsettlement.com.

The email refers me to this PDF page:
<http://content.dynamicmessenger.com/rustconsulting/images/4/ClaimForm4.pdf>"

Now unlike my present Windows XP (Compaq-HP) computer, which is remarkably
stable and for which I have to always thank the PCWorks' members for
encouraging me to make the change, I do recall some "hanging, freezing or
locking" problems during the normal use of my HP model 8655c Windows 98
(purchased June 2000), but I never lodged any complaint about it, thinking
that that was the nature of computers at that earlier level of computer
technology.

Question:  Is this a real court case or is it some clever promotional to get
people to buy HP computers hoping the people think that they are winning some
class action case, and that the discount certificate offered is really a
hidden form of rebate? ... Harold