OK Harold
I no longer have a machine with 2000 running, however that file is at C:\Documents and Settings\(USERNAME)\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates in XP Pro.

Harold B. wrote:
Thanks, Phil

Strangely enough, using Search, it seems I don't have a "normal.dot" file.
That always seemed strange to me as I recall in Win 95 and 98 having such a
file where the preferred configurations of 'Word were made. Maybe if you tell
me exactly where it is located, I'll create one there. If that doesn't work,
I'll just re-install Office. Thanks --- Harold

Sounds like your "normal.dot" template has somehow attained those
attributes.  Find and delete that file (through the Windows explorer - M$ Word
not being open) Next time you open word set it up as you would like it to open
each time but do nothing else then save it as normal.dot. A new template will
be created. --- Phil (in beautiful South Gippsland AU)

I'm using Office 2000 as it serves whatever purpose I need. However,
recently every time I open Word, it opens with both the "bold" button and the
"underline" button pressed. How do I stop that from happening? --- Harold