Harold:
        You can answer the question yourself if you
remember that heat plus time are the worst thing for
electronic devices, including computers.
Which of the operations you describe leaves the
computer system the hottest?

Most late modle CRT displays go into standby
with no incoming signal and generate little heat.
The computer in hibernate mode also generates
little heat. So, given the two choices, hibernate
would be the best.

The best thing for the system is to turn it off
and let it cool down if you are not using it.

Wally