The Graduate Studies Program of the Instituto de Artes of the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), in collaboration with the Brazilian Association of Musical Performance (ABRAPEM), the University of Aveiro and INET-MD (Institute of Ethnomusicology - Centre for Music and Dance Studies), will host PERFORMA, a conference on performance studies, from May 31st through June 2nd, 2013 in Porto Alegre, Brazil. The keynote-speakers will be Prof. Eric Clarke, from the University of Oxford, Prof. Paulo Assis, from the University Nova of Lisbon/Orpheus Institute (Ghent), and Prof. Luca Chiantore, from Musikeon/Escola Superior de Mu?sica de Catalunya.

This conference seeks to generate and present new perspectives on musical performance through interdisciplinary dialogue. The main theme for the 2013 edition will be artistic research and musical performance. Submissions are now invited; we particularly welcome submissions that address artistic research as a methodological outlook and that present practice-based inquiry. The conference will also consider proposals on any aspect of performance studies such as performance science, philosophy and performance, performance practice, music pedagogy, musicology, ethnomusicology and performance analysis.

We welcome abstracts of a maximum of 350 words for:

 *

   Paper presentations (max. length 20 minutes)

 *

   Pre-formed Panels: Please submit abstracts with each named speaker
   and their institutional

   affiliation. Panels should last 1 hour and 30 minutes.

 *

   Lecture-Recitals: should last from 30 to 45 minutes. Proposals
   submissions should specify

   exact length and be accompanied by a short curriculum of the presenter.

 *

   Posters.

   We do not require a pre-defined proposal format, but we recommend
   that submissions include information on context, aims, methods and
   results. Abstracts should be sent to perfo...@ca.ua.pt
   <mailto:perfo...@ca.ua.pt>.

   We also welcome proposals for 20-minutes long performances, which
   will be presented in a shared recital format. Applicants are invited
   to submit video/audio recordings of the proposed performance. The
   video should be posted on Youtube (please note that you can select
   private, unlisted or public viewing) and a link to the video should
   be sent to fial...@terra.com.br <mailto:fial...@terra.com.br>,
   accompanied by the name(s) of the performer(s), institutional
   affiliation, a list of the works to be performed, and a short bio.
   Please note that percussion equipment will not be provided.

   The submission deadline is January 14th, 2013.

   General enquiries (registration, travel, lodging) should be sent to
   lucn...@gmail.com <mailto:lucn...@gmail.com>.

   Abstracts and performance proposals will be reviewed by a panel, and
   presenters will be advised as to their acceptance or otherwise by
   mid-February, 2013. The deadline for the submission of proceedings
   articles (accepted authors only) is March 18th, 2013.