On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

From what I know most programming languages are more likely to adhere consistency of function arguments.

Everything that allows default arguments, except pd, doesn't enforce one value of default value, and instead require that a default value be supplied. This is implemented in C++, Java (1.5?), Python, Ruby, Tcl, CommonLISP, and a bunch more.

Words can be very vague, especially when you consider that many programmers will be programming in a language that is not their native tongue. So it seems quite difficult to be strictly adherent to the words.

Maybe you'd like to study the case of Ruby. This is a weird language in the sense that it's been written with English words by a bunch of Japanese people who live in Japan and who use Japanese as their main language.

NotImplementError used to be the name of a kind of error. The Array class has a method called "indexes". But in general it wasn't so much the naming in the code that was bad... when I started 6 years ago, the manual was saying things like "Instance variables are belong to the certain object."

But words are how humans communicate with each other, so the meaning of the language should be given attention.

Right.

I personally feel that its not more linguistically consistent to have [once] default open when it has no argument. But this is inconsistent in usage with similar objects ([spigot]...).

What Would Demux Do?