On Nov 19, 2006, at 5:13 AM, Thomas Grill wrote:

Am 19.11.2006 um 05:00 schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:

On Nov 18, 2006, at 8:07 PM, Thomas Grill wrote:

Am 18.11.2006 um 22:16 schrieb Mathieu Bouchard:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

I really doubt that the gcc devs put a lot of effort into something that has no effect. Perhaps not for Pd, that may be true. But they are talking about vectorizing loops, it may not be the best thing to vectorize, but there are definitely vectorizable loops in Pd.

perhaps it would be a good start to reimplement newbytes(n) using memalign(16,n) instead of malloc(n).

A few years ago i introduced aligned memory allocation in the pd- devel branch.

Have you tried submitting a patch? It would be at least useful in Pd-extended. How big a difference did it make?

I have a better idea. People interested in improvements can easily make a diff from the devel branch. The aligned memory allocation is part of the SIMD codelets which have been part of pd-devel for a long time.

It generally accepted procedure in the projects that I've seen that people guide their own code thru the procedures of submitting patches and getting them accepted. I think that makes sense here too.

Its coming quite clear that devel/dd is fork since the devel/dd devs are resistant or unwilling to try to get code into pd-MAIN. That's too bad, I think we will all be the worse for it, but its your choice to do so. I think it would be helpful to make it clear that its a fork instead of continuing to skirt the issue.

.hc