On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Bryan Jurish wrote:
On 2006-12-16 01:40:03, Mathieu Bouchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> appears to have written:

i count (sizeof(int)+sizeof(float)-1)*strlen(message) wasted bytes per string object, not counting the selector.

Oh yeah, sorry, the occupied space is up to 4 times as text but it's 8 times in 32-bit mode and 16 times in 64-bit mode.

as i think we've discussed before, using ieee floats, which should be able to losslessly encode a 24 bit integer,

if you want something saveable to a file, pd can only losslessly convert 19.93 bits to decimal.

... but then again, what else are ascii 0x1c-0x1f (28-31 = {fs,gs,rs,us}) for?

When I was a small kid, my parents bought a CGP-115 plotter, and the code for changing the colour of the stylus was 29. It was in 1983.

 it's another ugly hack, would reserve some of the ascii range,

0 is enough to do lists-of-strings because in many ASCII-based systems it's only ever used to mean end-of-string. It's faster than my nested-list hack. However, my hack looks more like what the syntax for nested lists could become if it were not a hack. Essentially my hack is a post-parser that reinterprets symbol-atoms depending on their parens-content, and makes it feel like pd has a LISP syntax... sometimes. (It's a GridFlow-only feature though).