moin Martin, moin list,

On 2006-12-17 21:46:50, Martin Peach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> appears to have written:
Bryan Jurish wrote:
On 2006-12-17 03:09:19, Martin Peach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> appears to have written:
A string could be considered unused when its length is set to 0. Memory would need to be dynamically allocated in small blocks. The API should return "no method for string" if the external doesn't implement strings.

... which wouldn't get us true strings in the mathematical sense of a free monoid <Alphabet,concat()>, since the empty string is the identity element for concat()...

Yes, I agree there should be no restriction on empty strings. I also think there is no need to destroy strings except when the patcher is closed, so it's not really an issue.

if by "destroy" you mean de-allocation of the string struct itself (i assume you do; your suggestion looks a lot like a glib GString btw, which is im(ns)ho a good general purpose c string struct), and if a string therefore winds up being just something like a symbol with a volatile value (i.e. doesn't get written to the symbol table), then i agree.

what i think we need to avoid with strings (i don't think anyone has suggested otherwise, i'm just stating the obvious) is symbol-style permanent allocation for every string *value*. string "variables" could/should be handled like any other pd atom: the external which creates them is responsible for (de-)allocation, which would wind up doing what you suggest and freeing any allocated memory when the responsible object is destroyed (provided the object doesn't leak memory, but i think we can assume c programmers are used to keeping track of such things -- ymmv).

in fact, this is how [any2string] handles things, in its ugly list-of-floats way...

marmosets,
        Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology