If you really want to get into realpath():

https://www.securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/seccode/FIO02-A. +Canonicalize+path+names+originating+from+untrusted+sources

.hc

On May 22, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

To quote the whole text:

Avoid using this function. It is broken by design since (unless using the non- standard resolved_path == NULL feature) it is impossible to determine a suitable size for the output buffer, resolved_path. According to POSIX a buffer of size PATH_MAX suffices, but PATH_MAX need not be a defined constant, and may have to be obtained using pathconf(). And asking pathconf() does not really help, since on the one hand POSIX warns that the result of pathconf() may be huge and unsuitable for mallocing memory. And on the other hand pathconf () may return -1
 to signify that PATH_MAX is not bounded.

I think whoever wrote that man page is really splitting hairs there, the FreeBSD/Mac OS X man page has no complaints about it. They are complaining that PATH_MAX _might_ not be defined. But on GNU/Linux, MinGW, and FreeBSD/Mac OS X, FILENAME_MAX _is_ defined. So just use FILENAME_MAX to allocate the buffer that realpath() uses (which was already happening anyway in s_main.c, but with MAXPDSTRING instead). It's a widely implemented POSIX function, how much more standard do you want? ;)

I think that Pd should give reliable information in the publically defined API (ok, s_stuff.h, but still). For example, it makes life easier in a lot of ways if you can count on sys_libdir being an absolute path, rather than making every other bit of code that might every use a path that is based on sys_libdir check to make sure that it is indeed absolute. The vast majority of the time, sys_libdir is an absolute path, and AFAIK, on Windows it is always an absolute path.

.hc