Its kind of amazing how complicated something like DESTDIR support can be. This sounds like a workable solution, Makefile.buildlayout is a bit whack anyway. I am find with you working directly in the SVN as long as you stick with it until it works. That's the reason for the nightly builds, to test active development. :)

.hc