On Jan 27, 2012, at 12:28 PM, batinste wrote:

> On 27/01/2012 16:17, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>> On Jan 25, 2012, at 2:55 PM, András Murányi wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:30, batinste <dwanaf...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>> Hi there !
>>>
>>> András Murányi told me that i should join the compile farm, and i think
>>> it could be nice to help the community. I have a Hewlett Packard Aspire
>>> Revo 1.6GHz Intel Atom N230, 2GB RAM running Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot 64
>>> bit. Pd-extended compiles fine as far as i can tell, i have no
>>> dependencies issues. I've built it a few times since last week.
>>> The server has been running and online for 2 years now with minor
>>> unavailabilities, mainly because of my ISP's crappy modem/router.
>>>
>>> So, it's up to you :)
>>>

>>> On my Lucid, it goes like this:
>>> - I've created a new user called pd,
>>> - Perhaps a /home/pd/auto-build/ folder needs to be created,
>>> - The attached file (run-auto-builds) goes into /etc/cron.daily/ ,
>>> - and because cron is actually run by anacron, I've also added
>>> "START_HOURS_RANGE=9-24" to /etc/anacrontab in order to prevent the builds
>>> to happen at night (because they spin up the fans and that is too noisy),
>>> - the PATH in anacrontab may also have to be adjusted if things don't want
>>> to run.
>>> ...from this point the build shall happen every day - unless I've forgot
>>> something important.
>>> IF the build seems to happen every day, tell Hans-Cristoph Steiner and he
>>> will enable the uploads to the server. (BTW, you can also allow ssh access
>>> to the pd account on your machine later, but it's an independent task.)
>>>
>>> This is how I recollect the setup, but just tell me if you get stuck or
>>> anything unclear.
>>>
>>> Andras
>>

>> hey batinste,
>>
>> The more the merrier, your offer is much appreciated!  My only concern with
>> adding people to the build farm is: how do we know that people aren't going
>> to do malicious things, like insert virii or trojans into their Pd builds?
>> This may sound paranoid, but I'd like people to be able to trust the
>> Pd-extended downloads..  I'm definitely not saying that you are not
>> trustworthy, I'm saying that I know very little about you.  I do see that
>> you have been posting to the pd list since 2009, so that's something.
>>
>> .hc

>> "Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free software
>> means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls you." -
>> Richard M. Stallman

> Hi Hans-Christoph
>
> It is a very valid concern.
>
> My first argument would be : i am a terrible programmer :) even if i can
> build something out of python or arduino now and then. I hate pointers, can't
> wrap my head around.
>
> My second is : i need pd-ext to run on each "current" ubuntu 64. I'm a crazy
> early adopter when it comes to ubuntu releases. I use pd whenever it seems to
> [...]

This all sounds like you'll be a valuable contributor, since I for one am
generally an Ubuntu late adopter :-).  I think I'll try messing around with a
script to validate the packages from your computer.  As more people contribute
builds, this will come up again.  Having a 'pd' account would be useful too.
If you really want to support Ubuntu-current, you could also have a debootstrap
chroot in /var/chroot/precise, for example, and the build scripts will build
using that chroot.  That's how the i386 builds of natty, oneiric, and precise
are done.  Here's how:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot

.hc