Am 04.12.2006 um 14:42 schrieb IOhannes m zmoelnig:
IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
Max Neupert wrote:
Maybe the solution would be some debian packages from the autobuild
farm.
Yes, debian packages!
so what you suggest for a successfull pd installation on a ubuntu
machine is to download this:
http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/latest/pd-2006-12-04- linux-debian-stable-i386-i686.tar.bz2

reading your email again, i understand it better: the suggestion is not to install the files tagged with "debian" on an ubuntu system but to use
a special packaging format, which by chance is used by both debian
(thats why it is called "debian-package" or ".deb") and ubuntu (which is
really just a polished up debian clone).

building debian packages on the autobuild farm would eventually result
in having different packages for debian-stable, debian-testing,
ubuntu-hoary. (because of the very problem of dependencies)

i hope i could make this somewhat clearer.

thanks IOhannes,

well, honestly i am new to linux and don't even have it on my own machine (osx) but i am working on a joint pd project with Johannes K. so.. to give you the complete picture: i actually deleted his windows partition in an accident while trying to make it dual boot. so he is stuck now with ubuntu and i am gone to bulgaria. but thanks god he is very brave and wants to stick with it. actually i think he is enjoying it so far. we just need to figure out now how to make the pd externals running on his thinkpad. :)

max