On Dec 11, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

the attached patch shows that the subpatch is [switch~]ed off too early,
but not [switch~]ed on too late.

So for tight timing switching on has to be done at least one block *in
advance*.

if i interprete correctly, what your patch is telling me, then one would have to switch *off* one block *later*. it wouldn't be necessary to know in advance, when to switch on, though. it seems like it is enough to add
1.5ms to each [delay] that schedules the switch-off-messages.

Ah, yes, you're right: I didn't interpret the patch correctly.
Attached is another version which allows to test different delay times
and also lets you compare a switched off with a non-switched signal.
It shows, that timing is indeed no problem when switching off
subpatches, which is good news to me.

There could be a number of idle voices that are switched on to prevent this. So you could specify, say 5 voices always ready, then whenever one voice starts playing, it also turns on another idle voice.

This would be harder to implement, but would be a nicer outcome than a hard-coded 1.5 ms delay.