On 17/01/2007, at 18.58, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

Steffen wrote:

On 17/01/2007, at 17.08, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

the best version would be to provide a simple makefile

so that people can checkout a single external from cvs plus the pd
section (or maybe just pd/src/m_ph.h ?), cd to the dir, run make?

exactly.

Ok. Dare i ask, what prevents it? I'm guessing that of uniform cross- platform makefiles. Motivation: * I just tried to build arraysize. so i checked it out, with pd. But the makefile shipped in didn't support my current platform plus the include path wasn't pointing to where it "should". So i had to changed it, and by inspiration from another makefile (i chose line3) i got it working. Not too much trouble. * But passing the right path-var to make that was needed to build iemmatrix, fx, i don't think i'd worked out my self (i followed Kevins process due to curiosity on the topic).

To not reinvent sliced bread, how does that idea further differ from the build-system used by (or maybe more correct: made for) pd- extended? My guess is, not much, but it currently requires the packages section of cvs too, if i'm not wrong.

Im not sure where im getting at, except that i think it would be "nice" if it was "easy" to assemble/get just the settings of Pd one (the user) wants. There are a few "knobs to adjust" in this domain. To name some: millers version, pd-extended, devel, dd; pddp, or not; from none to more or all of the abstractions in cvs; from none to more or all of the externals in cvs, ...

if you install pd differently (e.g. on debian with apt), you might get
the m_pd.h file anyhow, probably as /usr/include/m_pd.h.

i think no "standard" binary distribution of pd comes without this
header file. (but i might be wrong).
so there would be no need to checkout this file for _many_ cases (there
will be problems for more in-depth externals that need access to
g_canvas.h,..; however most externals should be fine with just m_pd.h)

Ahh, i see. Thanks for the insight.

Best, Stefffen