David F. Place wrote:
> Recently, I sent a message complaining about the behavior of
> [textfile].    I learned about [msgfile] in the zexy library and thought
> it would solve my problems, but it has not.
>
> I have distilled my complaints in the attached patch.
> 1.)  [textfile] blows the stack on too low a number.  The stack should
> be bigger.  ...or maybe a startup option for Pd.

hmm, adding a bigger stack will just push the problem to LATER, it is
not a solution.

one solution would be, to not use the stack at all, if it is possible.
in your case, this is fairly easy (see attached patch).

hint: [until]

> 2.) [msgfile] doesn't seem to work at all when you barrage it with
> consecutive bangs.

i'll try to fix that.
in the meantime, there is a [flush( message, will output all messages in
[msgfile]

fm.asdr
IOhannes
#N canvas 414 295 704 568 10;
#X obj 15 13 zexy;
#X msg 246 391 print;
#X msg 347 340 rewind;
#X obj 266 458 msgfile;
#X obj 310 488 print done;
#X obj 279 246 print;
#X msg 242 132 print;
#X msg 328 75 rewind;
#X obj 330 242 print done;
#X obj 407 76 bng 15 250 50 0 empty empty empty 17 7 0 10 -262144 -1
-1;
#X obj 279 192 textfile;
#X msg 135 338 clear \, read test4.txt;
#X msg 110 76 clear \, read test4.txt;
#X msg 150 360 clear \, read josquin.seq;
#X msg 130 101 clear \, read josquin.seq;
#X text 99 22 [textfile] succeeds with the file test4.txt \, but blows
the stack on josquin.seq;
#X text 103 290 [msgfile] blows the stack on both and just outputs
the first record over and over.;
#X text 113 57 1.);
#X text 328 54 2.);
#X text 405 52 3.);