On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Martin Peach wrote:

I don't know what hardware manufacturers are using these days but I would suspect embedded PCs are the best way to go with totally digital synthesis. There should be no reason not to use OSC except that it isn't a proprietary standard so there's no money to be made with it...and who's going to be the first to put an ethernet port in their machine.

OSC doesn't need Ethernet. It doesn't even need UDP, even though most implementations only implement a UDP transport. Frankly, I don't know why you shouldn't use OSC-over-serial with DB9 if that's cheaper. Else perhaps OSC-over-serial-over-USB in low-speed mode.